Ok, so the first effort started awesomely but finished with a bit of a whimper. Aerjen and I looked at ALL of our options and the best was to post an update, cancel early and then move forward with a re-kick, with some sidelong investigations into:
- Radically changing the game – for instance a dice game or card game
- Upping the Content – lots of people wanted to know why we didn’t go the miniature route, or…
- Same as Before, but…
We’re ruling out Upping the Content – such as add miniatures – miniatures are fun and awesome, especially when done well but it’s either origami or flat counters.
Reviewers have been incredibly positive about the fun the game has, but I’ve got to agree with some of my playtesters, there’s an opportunity here to improve the
What did we Learn?
Now *here’s* the real question:
- Reviews BEFORE the Kickstarter: this sounds obvious, but at the time, it wasn’t. We were hoping that the reviews would catch up to us during the campaign and we needed it before, if not MONTHS before.
- Media Blitz BEFORE the Kickstarter: same as above, but don’t wait for the week OF the Kickstart
- Engaging the audience on Day 1: Once the campaign got going, we started talking more with our true believers. That’s not good. A day-one/day-two investment in the people would help engage others later on.
- A Thorough Explanation of Gameplay Video: we have gameplay videos, and one overview – which has no words. We need a clear explanation and demonstrate how the game is played.
- Improving on our Appearance: Both Cthuluchador.com and Heresy.com got lost in the frenzy. I’m fixing this here.
I’ll go into each of these in more detail, and address each one over the next few posts.