What have we been doing with our time?
Aerjen and I have re-looked at all the rules, game mechanics, playability and the assets for the Kickstarter itself. If we’re going to reduce cost, then we have to either remove features or change the game so that the production is less but the fun remains.
Reviewers and playtesters have a list of “Good Things” about this game which boils down to the big three.
- Embraces the Theme of Mexican Wrestling Lovecraftian Style
- Excellent “Taunt” mechanic
- Beautiful Design and Artwork*
So what wasn’t so popular about the Game?
- Card art – the lack thereof
- Simultaneous play
- A wargame mechanic which slowed game play down
We can’t be hypercritical on the game, though, it’s the Kickstarter campaign which failed – not the game. But we’re taking action on those things anyway so that if we can reduce the cost. What was the feedback on the Campaign?
- Goal too high
- Kickstart video too unprofessional, confusing
Because Aerjen and I are co-designers, we both need to agree on the details of how this works. To give you an idea of the solutions we’re investigating, I’m bullet-pointing the directions we’ve gone thus far.
Solutions prototyped, played and investigated:
- More wargamish? – Cut cards out and create rules for movement, adding “Momentum” and “Bouncing off the rings” to make the the Cthuluchador ring fight is more crazy. Result: Rejected because it didn’t reward players enough.
- Cards Only – remove the gameboard: no ring, no spectators – mano-y-mano… or tentacle-o. This was a good game but it wasn’t the Los Cthuluchadores we came to know and love. Result: Rejected… but maybe we’ll do a cards-only version some day.
- Los Cthuluchadores Party Game – when Aerjen came up with the idea, I admit, I scoffed. He prototyped it, we played it, I have to admit, while it isn’t Lovecraftian Wrestlers, it has a lot going for it. Result: Rejected… but liked, oh so liked. It may be a future standalone game.
- and so on…
This kind of refactoring takes time and we don’t know how much just yet. But we wanted you to know we are still working on bringing you a game about tentacled monstrosities wearing tight latex.
When are we Re-Kicking?
Right now our target is Late Q3 or Early Q4 of 2014. Please hang in there and thank you for your update!